Friday, February 7, 2014

Winter Wonderland



We are having quite the winter this year! We seem to have it all, ice, snow, colder than normal temperatures. School has been cancelled; we closed Hope House offices due to the snow storm which dumped ten inches of snow across our area. This weather certainly challenges our patience, our resources for snow removal, street treatment, cancellations of events, business closings, flight cancellations etc.

It doesn’t look like we will be getting a break either with more snow predicted for this weekend and Monday. I wonder if school will be able to resume before spring! But even with all of the challenges and the patience and strength required to shovel our driveways, parking lots and sidewalks, dig people out of ditches the winter wonderland provides an opportunity for fun as well. 

We closed our office on Tuesday due to the weather but due to the nature of our work we must always have staff on hand. I am so grateful for the staff who worked during the storm. The shelter staff braved the streets and made it into work so that they could relieve the person who had come in earlier in the day. The Facilities staff worked tirelessly outside in the elements to make sure the sidewalks and the driveways were clear so staff and clients could get in and out without danger of getting stuck or falling. Their work continued into the next few days as they continued to clear parking lots and sidewalks. I am grateful to all of them for their work and dedication.

On Wednesday, I was working in my office and heard squealing and such amazing laughter that I had to turn around to see what was happening in the court yard. I couldn’t help but smile as I watched the kids throwing snow balls and running around in the snow as if it was the first time they had ever been in snow. It is sometimes hard for me as an adult to remember the fun that winter can bring. So as we all continue to work through the challenges brought out by the snow, I will continue to remember the children playing in the courtyard, having the time of their lives playing with the very same snow that has caused so many challenges. I forget sometimes to find the silver lining, those children helped me remember. I will also remember the dedication of the staff who put the needs of others before their own and will be grateful to work with such dedicated individuals.

Stay safe and warm and travel safely and remember the joy the children experienced in the snow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment